Individual Career Advising Appointments
UIC students are able to meet one-on-one with a career advisor for help with career-related tasks. Things to know about individual career advising appointments:
- Our career advisors are trained professionals with expertise in career advising and coaching.
- Appointments may vary in length, depending on student needs, from 30-50 minutes.
- The appointments generally occur in our office, but can also occur over the phone.
Career Advisors can assist UIC students in the following ways:
- Assess interests, values, and strengths and how these factors connect to majors/careers.
- Develop internship or job search strategies to help students target appropriate employers.
- Create or edit career-related documents such as resumes and cover letters.
- Prepare for upcoming interviews and brainstorm interview questions/scenarios.
- Tell students what career (or major) is/is not a good fit for them.
- Find internships or jobs for students.
- Change a major or minor for a student, this is part of the role of an academic advisor.
Walk-In Career Advising
We offer walk-in career advising to assist students with brief career-related questions as students typically meet with an advisor for 15 minutes during this time. If you have extensive questions, please make an appointment to meet one-on-one with a Career Advisor.
Hours for walk-in career advising change each semester, please check the hours/location of our office for more information.